Friday, October 14, 2011

Do moderates lack "convictions?" (Or, everyone doesn't fit in a box...)

I opened this blog early last May. I did so, in part, because I felt disenfranchised. There's very few talk shows or cable channels (other than CNN, I suppose) that don't adhere to a fairly hard-line ideology. Fox News and the Wall Street Journal favor the Right. MSNBC and Public Broadcasting/NPR favor the Left. Network newscasts lean left, but not as far as MSNBC does, in my opinion. 

My politics are slightly left of center. I do not fit into a box labeled Conservative or Liberal. Looking at a bell curve, we see how the political spectrum, to me, is generally distributed: 


What's not on the graph is where our Country currently stands. While this is open to much debate, I'd place the "mainstream" of America, just to the right of the mid-line. I say, currently, we lean to the right. There are many reasons for this, but that's fodder for a different post, not this one.

Now look at the graph once more. Where is the bulk of the population? On the far right? On the far left? No, its not. It's found within the middle of the curve. The range from the "moderate left" to the "moderate right" makes up for the majority of Americans. The average American isn't Glen Beck any more than they're Keith Olbermann. They're not Chuck Grassley anymore than they're Bernie Sanders.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently I've been accused of having no convictions by a few friends who are self described hard line Conservatives. The fault they have found with me is best described this way. "Moderate" or "Middle" means you don't really believe in one way or the other when it comes to the issues of the day. Its been inferred by a few that anyone who is "in the middle" lacks a certain courage of their convictions. You hear it in the media all the time. Pundits or talk shows hosts bashing persons on the opposite side of their ideology as evil, dangerous, corrupt. Moderates have little appeal. Current GOP Presidential candidate Ron Paul said, "We've had way too much bipartisanship for about 60 years." Compromise is now, apparently, a dirty word, (...which will cost you your seat, Mr. Congressman if we catch you even thinking about it.)

Newsflash to anyone who subscribes purely to a political ideology, (right or left, it doesn't matter to me), I say you are the cop outs. You are the ones stalling real progress on our nation's problems. What you call a politically pure point of view is misguided and immature. To worship your favorite talking head or political figure is akin to worshiping a sports team or favorite athlete like we did when we were kids. "Its all good/its all bad" is not a refined, polished, rational perspective to hold. Its also a horrifically bad direction to try and pull/push the country.

The history of the United States shows us a gentle dance back and forth between the two main parties. Since the parties of today, the Democrats and Republicans, came into shape in the 1820's, we've seen 17 Democrats elected and 18 Republicans elected. While its never been so hip to demonize the other party, its still a crappy idea. Nothing gets done. The two parties get entrenched and the Public Good suffers. It may make for great television or good talk shows, but it doesn't do much to solve problems.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To my critics, who claim that not labeling myself this thing or that thing politically, leaves me everywhere but nowhere, let me spell it out for you. A few of my beliefs...


I am a blend of libertarian, liberal and conservative ideologies. 


I think the government has no business legislating the personal affairs between two adults in marriage or the bedroom. Let the Church handle this. If government MUST be involved, let the States sort it out. 


I think the Federal Government is too large and needs to be streamlined. Move more things to the State level. 


I think drugs, especially marijuana, should be legalized. Pursue a program like Portugal did. Its not perfect, but looks to be promising.


I think we benefit as a country when we have vibrant social programs to help the poor, the sick and the elderly. 


I think we need Universal Healthcare in the United States. I think a blend of mandatory public/private would work the best. 


I believe in a strong national defense. I oppose nation building. I think we could trim 15-20% of the defense budget and still have...by far...the most potent fighting force on the planet. We need that money elsewhere. I support the use of drones in lieu of troops. 


I do not support the Bush Doctrine. Its too open to abuse. 


I support talking to any foreign country to pursue peace and understanding in the world. 


I support the continuance of foreign aid programs with the caveat of proper oversight and ROI. In some of the places we're making investment, its for the future-not the current people in power. The world is getting smaller and smaller and to draw back everything to within our borders and close our eyes/ears is a doomed foreign policy. 


I've read reasonable arguments both pro and con regarding the building of a wall across our border with Mexico. I'm unsure what's best to do, although I think in certain locations a wall could be part of an effective strategy for border security. 


The Federal Government should either enact a bold immigration enforcement policy by Executive Order soon or grant great latitude to the States to enact their own policies. 


I am concerned that our Homeland Security hasn't done enough to secure our ports. 


I support 2nd Amendment rights. I support greater enforcement of current law, but also a reduction in what weapons should be allowed to be owned by the public. 


I support the death penalty in the case of violent crimes against children and in the killing of law enforcement officers. Also in other cases as merited with adequate evidence of guilt. 


...and so on...


There are Democratic ideas...

There are Republican ideas...

What "box" shall I check?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because a person doesn't subscribe to your world view, doesn't subscribe to your demonization of an opposing viewpoint, doesn't mean they don't have a valid viewpoint. Or that they stand for nothing. To subscribe fully to an ideology, to me is frightening. It locks the mind. It draws the windows and the shades and shuts out the sun. Sun is light, light provides illumination. Illumination is knowledge and understanding. Statistics suggest, my dear hard core friends, that more of America is like me, as opposed to you. History also tells us a balance has been in place through almost two hundred years. The trend will continue. Small, frustrating steps will be taken in this direction and that over time. Over lifetimes. To lose this Country to one ideology or another almost certainly ensures its failure.

Be very careful what you wish for...

Don't confuse ideology with conviction...



Sources: 

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-representatives-in-congress/us-congress/ron-paul-at-cpac-too-much-bipartisanship/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States#List_of_presidents

http://www.encod.org/info/PORTUGAL-S-DRUG-LAWS-DRAW-NEW.html

No comments:

Post a Comment