Saturday, September 3, 2011

Isn't it Christian to be tolerant?

An interesting article on religious tolerance in the US...

Don’t Fear Islamic Law in America - NYTimes.com:

Some additional thoughts:

Its no secret to readers of this blog that I do not subscribe to the opinion that all Muslims hate non Muslims. Or that Muslims always lie to non Muslims. Or that the Islamic world is slowly but surely pushing for a world wide caliphet. I've read quite a bit on this subject, seen the scary videos on line, visited the offensive websites that comb the internet and written word for extremist statements from fringe Islamic groups and then pass that off as mainstream Islamic messaging. I think its bullshit of the highest order.

I will not write off one of the world's oldest and most esteemed religions because a misguided group defile the true Islamic beliefs for a corrupt end. Anymore than I would write off the Christian faith because of those who do wrong in the name of Christianity. Nor would I do it for those of the Jewish faith. None of the Ibrahamic faiths are in their essence, evil. Followers of any of these faiths can be evil, but certainly not by following the mainstream tenets of any of them.

Most of the readers of Reasonable Conversation, I'll assume, are adults. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. That's not how this works and I know that. Three years ago I knew zip about Islam. I didn't know anyone who was a Muslim, hadn't read a word about it, etc. Since then, I've spent some time to try and understand what this fuss I hear around the net and on some cable news channels is all about. My position is now that mainstream Islam is a worthy member of the Ibrahamic trio in our world. I don't think it can be denied. That said, I'm fairly stunned at the amount of ignorance people have about this faith yet criticize it in a patently unfair way. The only way I came to this position was by research, reaching out to various Muslims in my community and a fair amount of thinking.

I'm certainly no apologist for terrorism. But if you equate mainstream Muslims with terrorism, I'd say you're wrong to do so. I do think Muslims need a louder voice to reject the acts of terror around the world. Their rejections of violence can be found, but they are not loud enough, common enough or noticed enough. Muslims, especially in the West should be taking larger steps to re-position themselves and their faith in the times we live in. I think if somehow, a "spokesperson" could take a high profile after such events it would help. 

The United States has a fairly long list of persecuting various religions. Over time Catholics, Jews and Muslims have all been treated very poorly. Odd for a Country who's freedom to worship is a main tenent. Nonetheless, I'd hope we can grow more tolerant, as the NYT article suggests. Not of those who would harm us, but those who....in a very American way...would like to live free in a land where they can worship as they please.

Wouldn't it be the Christian thing to do?




No comments:

Post a Comment