Sunday, November 13, 2011

Michelle Bachmann: Against child abuse, but not so much bullying?

Is this a reasonable disconnect from Mrs. Bachmann?



Michelle Bachmann:  NBC's Meet The Press, November 13, 2011 on the Penn State child sex abuse scandal...


"I think about my children -- if that was my child -- and I think my automatic reaction would be – even though I'm a small woman – I'd want to go find that guy and beat him to a pulp. I think that's what any parent would want to do when they think about their child."





Michelle Bachmann:  Minnesota State Legislature, 2006 commenting on anti-bullying legislation...

"I think for all of us, our experience in public schools is there have always been bullies," Bachmann said. "Always have been, always will be. I just don't know how we're ever going to get to the point of zero tolerance... What does it mean?... Will we be expecting boys to be girls?"


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 In no way am I attempting to suggest that Michelle Bachmann is pro-bullying. She's not. However, she's always stood against anti-bullying legislation in Minnesota, but now says she'd want to beat to a pulp the guy that may have sexually abused many young boys at Penn State. 


 Sexual abuse of children isn't the same thing as bullying, but in both cases, children are being abused, hurt and scarred in both emotional and physical ways. I wish Mrs. Bachmann would take a fresh look at the anti-bullying subject. While the specifics of the abuse are very different, I think both should enjoy the vigorous protection by law that currently only one of the two scenarios above has in place. 




Sources: 


http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Michele-Bachmann-says-she-would-want-to-beat-Jerry-Sandusky-in-Penn-State-sexual-abuse-scandal-111311


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Bachmann#cite_ref-151

No comments:

Post a Comment