Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Men behaving badly...I don't get it...

  While this will never be a gossip column, in the last 48 hours we've learned of two high profile examples of powerful, wealthy men behaving horribly.

  The head of the IMF (International Monetary Fund) Dominique Strauss-Kahn is in jail facing multiple charges alleging he forced himself upon a hotel maid in New York City. Former California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has admitted he fathered a child some ten years ago with a member of his household staff. Both men are wealthy, Schwarzengger, more so than Strauss-Kahn. 



  Mr. Strauss-Kahn is a married man.

  Mr. Schwarzenegger is a married man. 


  I've been married for over twenty years. I take it seriously, like most men I know. Most men are faithful, loyal and true to their spouses. That doesn't suggest there aren't problems in some marriages, there's problems in all marriages that test both parties substantially. Parenting, financial problems, career issues, etc. are a few of the common hurdles a couple has to navigate. Most of us successfully do so with far less resources than either of these two men have at their disposal. Marriage is hard work sometimes. 


  (I just thought of another example, former presidential candidate John Edwards. He's the guy who cheated on his cancer fighting wife and fathered a love child with a campaign video journalist in the last election. Edwards has more money than God.)


  Marriage counseling can't be that hard to get or that expensive, right? While I admittedly don't know all the circumstances in the cases of the IMF head or the Governator, for the most part, I don't give a shit. Males learn at a pretty young age you don't do ANYTHING remotely close to forcing yourself upon another person. If you're married, that means there's exactly one person you can have sex with. (Other than yourself, of course.) 


 This isn't rocket science. I had a much harder time with Stats I and II than this. Diminished chords were also more difficult to comprehend than this concept. Figuring out my starting lineup on my roto baseball team is harder than this. Buying jewelry for my wife is a bitch. Not fathering love kids just hasn't been that tough. 


  There's no excuse for attempted rape whatsoever. If its proven to be true, then Frenchy can plan on getting used to American cuisine. He ought to have enough time to, eh? 


  In Arnold's case, this revelation suggests some of the claims of his poor behavior in the past may well be true. He had fame, fortune and a high profile wife who added to his own celebrity. I understand marriages fail sometimes, but there's mechanisms in our society to facilitate a proper ending. It speaks to the level of common sense and maturity in this man. 


 Forget the loss in stature, reputation, etc. with these clowns. 


 They deserve it. 


 I just don't understand it. 


  







4 comments:

  1. Bill there are many men who are faithful husbands, loving fathers...but,men seem to need their ego's fed, they need reassurance, good/bad.

    As I woman, I think part of the problem is gender related. Woman think more about their reputations, who their actions will hurt, how THEY will live with those actions and in my case, my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comment.

    I certainly have an ego, but its fed daily by the knowledge that another day has passed while remaining true to my vows, my wife and myself. I really love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a whole psychology involved. Edward, Ah-nolt and many of the men you describe are wealthy, driven, ambitious and always looking for a new challenge.

    The Kennedy men went through women like water through a Kleenex. It was all about the chase and conquest. As soon as the conquest was over, there was no real interest anymore. I'm sure Arnold loved his wife, but he had been there, there was no challenge left, except the challenge of keeping the marriage alive, and that's one you can't throw money at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manny, if the allure of the "chase and conquest" manifests itself on a member of the household staff, isn't that suggestive of some other kind of self image type problem.

    All due respect, maybe she was the most beautiful woman in the world, but like Edwards, how does that stroke the ego?

    This sounds crass, but if Arnold had wanted to sleep with Meryl Streep, or Lady Di before she died, etc. that's one thing.

    A housekeeper, hotel maid or a videographer no one ever heard of? What does that do?

    ReplyDelete