Sunday, May 29, 2011

Nursing homes facing younger challenges - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Nursing homes facing younger challenges - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Even though this article is from my home town of Pittsburgh, its universal across the United States. Having performed at Retirement Communities and Nursing Homes for over fifteen years, I see it every day. My song list now includes not only stuff from the 1930's, 40's and 50's but also the 60's, 70's and beyond.

What passed for recreation and stimulation years ago don't cut it anymore. I predict within the next 20 years, laptops will be standard issue for the majority of nursing homes.

By far, the best job I'll ever have. I have to keep adapting to my clients needs, which makes me a better musician. For those in their 80's, yes, the big band material goes over great. But in the last few years I get more requests for tunes from the 50's and 60's. Elvis is still King, but weekly I'm asked to play Beatles, Stones and Elton John. In some homes that skew even harder toward a younger client, people ask for songs from acts like Jimmy Buffet, Vince Gill and George Strait.

In another 5-10 years, I'll be doing Coldplay or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment